Today, the European Commission adopted the 8th Rail Market Monitoring Report (RMMR).
The main findings show that:
- Between 2015 and 2019, freight traffic rose by 3% annually
- Between 2019 and 2020, freight traffic fell by 8% due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Data from 2021 shows a promising recovery in freight transport volumes
Moreover, the data shows that in 2020:
- Freight accounted for 17% of the land modal share (-2% compared to 2015)
- Freight services represented 21% of all train kilometers run
- Cross-border freight traffic represented 53% of all traffic
- Alternative operators accounted for 46% of the freight market (+10% compared to 2015)
- The average freight market share of new entrants was 46% (+11% compared to 2015)
- Total infrastructure spending rose from €39.1 billion to €41.8 billion (+7% compared to 2015)
- Infrastructure spending was divided between maintenance (25%), renewals (27%), upgrades (28%), and new investments (20%)
- 57% of the EU’s rail network was electrified
For more information about the report, click here.